A yard sale is kind of better way to recycle things which are you no longer necessary to you while you could make some cash at the same time. However it should be an overwhelming task, because you have to organize a sale, take care of it outside all day, deal with customers and then take it down. As for a successful sale, you should do some preparatory work in advance and if needed get some help from your family members or friends. The following tips might be helpful to you in preparing your yard sale.
- 1. Before the yard sale, you should carefully look through unnecessary possessions and see that whether you got the items enough to sponsor a sale. If not, you had better invite your friends, relatives or even neighbors to join your in a yard sale. In the case that you just want sell your own items; you should also get a helper. You should decide the date for your sale ahead of several weeks. If you intend to hold the sale not just one day, you should check local laws to see how long and often you could be allowed to hold a sale. In addition, you should also check your insurance policy to find out whether you are covered in case that you are an injured on your own property.
- 2. Clean dirty sale items at first. If possible you should find cords and accessories that generally go with an item. Check electronics to determine whether they are working normally. As for unique items, use small stickers to place price tags on. However, for similar items or things that could be damaged by stickers, you should make a price sign. For instance: “All paperback books: fifty cents each.” To remember all clearly, you should make a master list of your items and prices in case that tags get lost.
- 3. After setting up the sale date, you should advertise it your sale in community bulletin boards, the local newspaper, as well as social media online several days in advance. Your advertisement should include such information like the address, time of the sale and a brief description of items. In addition, apart from just-mentioned ad types, if you want to post any signs along a street, you had better check local laws to see whether you could do so, because in some cities, you are not allowed to post a sign on a utility pole, traffic sign or tree.
- 4. In order to o display your items, you should get ready tables, racks and hangars .If you intend to use your garage for the sale, you should clean it thoroughly and put aside any items that are not for sale. To make change easily, you should get coins and small bills ready as well as prepare fanny pack to hold the money. As for your cash box, you should ensure that it is always attended by you or a helper. Gather newspapers to wrap fragile items and bags for customers to carry their items.
- 5. Before the sale, you should put your items on the tables and racks. You should arrange tables properly so as to allow customers to have sufficient space for to walk around. Particularly, you should get one table for customers to put down their wanted items and pay for them. When the sale starts, you should greet your customers and enjoy your sale.