In the competitive job market today, if you could present an effective resume to your potential employers, it would offer you the good chance to get an expected job so as to avoid having your resume put into a dustbin. As your resume is very important in your job pursuit, you should be much careful about produce a job resume as effective as you could. Here are 10 tips you should consider in regard to your resume writing.
- Your resume should always be printed on the resume paper of high quality. Its color should be neutral, such as white, off-white or beige.
- The font in your resume should be presented in the standard size and style and 10 point Times New Roman, Verdana or Arial is recommended.
- In your resume heading, you should include your name, address, phone number and email address as well as other contact information.
- To start with your resume, you should firstly go with your career overview or career objectives, which could be written in three to four sentences, highlighting your previous work experience and your career goals related to the job which you are applying for.
- Your professional experiences should be the first part in your resume, introducing all jobs you have held for the past five years. In this section, you should include all necessary information, like your job title, the name of the company/employer you have worked for, the dates of your employment as well as your job duties.
- In the following section, you should tell something about your education or special training you have received. Depending on the job you are applying for, this section could be different, you could include your formal college education, or your mentor training as an apprentice, or if necessary, you could give information about your licensing status obtained through either private or public means. In addition, you should emphasize any training which is closely linked with the position you would like to get.
- It is important to illustrate your special skills in your resume, because it would give you the opportunity to show your various skills that might not be demonstrated in the other sections of your resume. As for your skills, you could say that the foreign languages you could use or specific computer languages you could handle, thus telling your abilities and capabilities for the current job position.
- Generally speaking, there would be not enough room for a full list of references on a standard resume. In this case, it is kindly suggested that you should include a statement at the bottom of your resume with the sentence of “references are available upon request.” You should prepare in advance such the list of references with the information about the names, addresses and contact information and you should are ready to present these references if you are requested to do so.
- It is strongly recommended that you should try your best to limit your resume to a single page for a better and effective means.
- Before you submit your resume, you should proofread it from the beginning to the end, because your slightest error could leave impression of carelessness on your potential employer who would doubt that how you could deal with the job well if you could present a resume with some errors in it.
*Image source: https://www.universitylanguage.com/blog/16/job-after-college-bad-economy/